Text items in FORMS 4 (mac & unix)

From: Jon Erlend Dahlen <jonda_at_ifi.uio.no>
Date: 9 Aug 1994 21:59:45 +0200

I'm getting quite frustrated...

This is my situation:

I've 13 text items in a base table block showing 7 records from a table. These text items presents information, in other words, the user is not supposed to edit the text items. The information showed is usually quite long, longer than the width of the text items, therefore the text items are multi line items, showing 2 lines.

The problem:

When I set the navigable and enabled properties to OFF, the user can't navigate to these items with the mouse nor the next_item key. This is what I want. The problem is the text in the items, it get grayed out. Gray text may look OK on a color screen, but on a black/white it's unreadable.

The Oracle Forms Reference Manual, Version 4.0, volume 2 says (p. 5-71):

    Usage Notes:

                o  ....

                o  Setting an item's Enabled property to Off grays out
                   the item, with the exception of text items.

Is this an error in the manual, or a bug? (This might be a question of definition... ;-)

Does it exist any work around for this? (or am I the only one with this problem)

I can't use display items, because they are not multi line items, and I can't make the items wide enough to show all the text.

I would appreciate any response!
Thank you.

..jon | Jon E. Dahlen <jonda_at_ifi.uio.no>          Received on Tue Aug 09 1994 - 21:59:45 CEST

Original text of this message