Re: SQL TRACE output contents

From: Kent J. Siemers <kjs_at_umich.edu>
Date: 9 Aug 1994 14:55:33 GMT

We know about tkprof and how it shows the SQL within a trace file. We were hoping for some technical details on the other fields contained within a trace file. Does anyone have this information?

Kent Siemers
Database Administration And Support, University Information Systems, The University of Michigan

Kim Ng (kimmng_at_uswnvg.com) wrote:

: Gary Nystrom (gnystrom_at_umich.edu) wrote:

:: We turned on SQL_Trace in an attempt to analyze some SQL and in looking at
:: the file it generated we have come up with some questions about the fields
 it
:: contains. We can't seem to find a description of the trace file in any of
 the
:: manuals. There is a line:

:: PARSING IN CURSOR #1 len=829 dep=1 uid=26.

:: The dep field also appears in lines starting with PARSE #n, EXEC #n, and
:: FETCH #n. I kind of figure uid is the user ID number. Can anyone shed
:: any light on dep and len, and perhaps also share tips on intrepreting the
:: SQL_Trace output. It doesn't appear these two are addressed in TKPROF
output.

: Try run "tkprof" on the trace file first. It would really make your life a
: lot easier. The syntax is:
:   tkprof <trace file> <output file> explain=<user/password>

: Try using the same <user/password> as the person who ran the trace. : When you look at the output file, you'll see what I mean.

: Kim Ng
: (Just a low life contract programmer. Thus, my clients won't adopt my views.) Received on Tue Aug 09 1994 - 16:55:33 CEST

Original text of this message