Re: Oracle and MS Access

From: Henry Harrison <hharriso_at_tdc.dircon.co.uk>
Date: 9 Aug 1994 10:54:11 GMT

BAmendt (bamendt_at_aol.com) wrote:

: I am an end user of such a system. I really like Access as the front end.
: It will work with Oracle on the backend, but it takes careful
: configuration to get them to cooperate. Oracle's support is dismal, so be
: sure the inhouse support resources are available and experienced. Access
: with MS-SQL Server or Sybase SQL Server work together much better (and are
: much less expensive).
:

We are also developing systems which will use MS Access (currently1.0) as a front end to an Oracle v7.0 database. It works fine except in one respect: Oracle Number fields of scale greater than 9 or precision greater than 4 (I think those are the figures) turn up in Access as text fields. I can then convert them using CvDbl() but it's a real pain.

According to Microsoft this is a 'feature'...

Henry Harrison
hharriso_at_dircon.co.uk
or
hharriso.atc_at_madge.com Received on Tue Aug 09 1994 - 12:54:11 CEST

Original text of this message