Re: Impromptu / Reportsmith / Focus

From: RSCary <rscary_at_aol.com>
Date: 9 Aug 1994 00:21:14 -0400

In article <94220.132012MDOWNING_at_ESTEC.BITNET>, Michael Downing <MDOWNING_at_ESTEC.BITNET> writes:

>I am interested in using one of the above products to report on Oracle
 data,
>if you have any experience of using one of the products can you please
 send me
>your comments.

>I am particularly interested in a reporting tool that totally hides the
>underlying SQL from the user.

>Thank you,

>Michael Downing.

I've used Impromptu in Windows and several versions of Focus including MVS, Unix (Sun), DOS, and most recently Focus for Windows.

Impromptu and Focus very different. With Impromptu you typically extract data from the RDBMS to your workstation and work with it there. Focus for Windows is a very full featured, point and click reporter that can create styled reports and graphics. You never need to see the SQL it creates unless you want to. They are both good products but different in the way they work and their intended purpose.

Scott Cary Received on Tue Aug 09 1994 - 06:21:14 CEST

Original text of this message