Re: ORACLE Backups

From: <KJOHNSON_at_ESRIN.BITNET>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 08:35:31 CET

In article <31od6o$la1_at_news-feed-1.PeachNet.EDU>, John Morgan <John_Morgan_at_OIT.PeachNet.EDU> says:

>In article <Ctysty.Kt5_at_eclipse.sheridanc.on.ca> Jim Gehl,
>gehl_at_eclipse.sheridanc.on.ca writes:
>>I am automating a backup script in ORACLE 6.0 to shutdown the database and
>>then backup all *.dbf files and am wondering if anybody has a csh script to
>>check for users on a database and kill the processes that are attached
>>before the shutdown.
>>
>>I have a korn shell that does this but unfortunately we don't have this
>>shell on our ULTRIX box.
>
>You could go into SQLDBA and do a shutdown immediate...that would
>effectively kick them off!

Please note : I have used shutdown immediate/abort as part of a backup

              procedure and came across a bug in ORACLE v6 (in my case
              ORACLE 6.0.34 on SCO Unix) whereby shutdown in any mode
              waited for users to disconnect.

From memory (I don't work at that site any more) a command line of the sort :

  ps .... | grep oracleSID | cut .... | xargs kill ...

(where the ... are specific to the flavour on UNIX) should be possible in any shell.

Kevin.

Kevin Johnson                      EMAIL  :  johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it
European Space Agency              DISCLAIMER :  These views are mine
ESRIN, FRASCATI, ITALIA.                         not necessarily those
                                                 of my employer.