Re: V7 connectivity from a PC

From: Alan Sheppard <sheppard_at_heart.med.uth.tmc.edu>
Date: 3 Aug 1994 19:36:19 GMT

In article <Ctyvqu.74L_at_uunet!aadt>, vrajan_at_aadt.com (V Rajan) wrote:

> How can one connect to an oracle v7 database running on HP from an
> IBM PC ? Are there any public domain sqlnet drivers for doing so ?
> If so could some one send me addr. of the FTP site. Thanks
>
> --
You will have to purchase sqlnet through Oracle. No freeware/shareware. Of course you'll also need an application on your PC that can talk to Oracle, ie. Paradox, MS-Access,Gupta products,Excel, Oracle products, etc. One alternative (if the HP is running Motif GUI is to find a Motif emulator to connect directly to the machine and access Oracle products without SQL*NET. I use an X-Window emulator on my mac to access Oracle Forms 4.0. Of course if all your doing is accessing character-based apps in Oracle, i.e. SQL*Plus, Forms 3.0, etc. a simple communications package will work. I access char based Oracle apps from home on my PC using Crosstalk or Procomm. Basically there are many ways to access Oracle without SQL*Net but if you want a transparent data access in a client/server environment you'll need sqlnet.

--
Alan Sheppard
UT Medical School - Houston, Texas