Re: CDE Production 2 and 7.0.15.4 *** BE AWARE ***

From: Steve Essery <sessery_at_lucifer>
Date: 29 Jul 1994 11:11:42 GMT

Maybe you should read the installation manual before flying off the handle because of a mistake you made:

In the Oracle CDE for Sun SPARC Solaris 2.3 Release Update in Chapter 3, "CDE Installation and Configuration" on page 3-5 in the section "Server-Based Installation" under "Server-based restriction" we tell you the following:

If you plan to run the CDE tools against Oracle Server release 7.0.15, you
cannot install the CDE tools and Oracle Server release 7.0.15 in the same

$ORACLE_HOME directory. In this case you must install the tools in an
$ORACLE_HOME directory that is separate from the one in which the Oracle Server
is installed, which is a client-only installation. You can still conduct a
server-based installation, however, if you install Oracle Server release
7.0.16.

Additional Information: See the previous section, "Client-Only Installation," for more information.

Warning: If you install the CDE tools in the same $ORACLE_HOME directory where a release prior to 7.0.16 of the Oracle Server resides, you will overwrite common component product layers. You will be unable to relink the Oracle Server and you may be unable to use the database. This configuration is not supported.

Steve Essery   Unix Support, Oracle UK    Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya,
                                          you killed my father, prepare to die.

Tel: +44 (0)344 860066 ext 4572           What you don't know is that I too
Tel: +44 (0)344 860222                    am not left-handed!