Re: How to insert data fast

From: Peter Doolan <pdoolan_at_oracle.us.oracle.com>
Date: 28 Jul 1994 10:39:25 GMT

Takaoki,

        Please be VERY VERY carefull when attempting to use undocumentated init.ora parameters - they are undocumentated for a very good reason. The parameter hinted at by John is VERY dangerous to use on a production system. If you disable your REDO and have an instance failure your only option is to restore from your last cold backup - EVEN if you have archiving enabled. The use of the undocumentated init.ora parameters should only be limited to situations were Oracle support make recommendations for their use

  • as in this parameter which if used would leave your database in a very precarious state. As to your question I would try to use direct loader if possible - this means working around any restrictions for its use as this would give you the best performance on bulk inserts. Also - in 7.1 we have the ability to do parallel direct loads so if you achieve a workaround on direct load when the time comes that you are running with 7.1 you will be able to take full advantage of the extra functionality. I have tested 7.1 direct load on SMP systems and have found good performance increases. Regards, Peter Doolan Oracle World Wide Support - Bracknell England