Re: Oracle buying GUPTA SQLWindows?

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 28 Jul 94 13:26:28 +1000

In article <199407271345.IAA15124_at_news.cs.utexas.edu>, dawson_at_vx8250.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil (Rick Dawson) writes:
> The lastest issue of InfoWorld stated that Oracle might buy Gupta, the makers of
> SQLWindows.

I heard from one of my sources that the next release of SQL*Forms (4.5?) designer actually looks and works a lot like Gupta's product. I wonder if InfoWorld got their wires crossed when they heard how SQL*Forms was going to change.

> 1: What do you think the effects would be on Oracle?

New technology to integrate into front end products ... will take a while.

> 2: What do you think the effects would be on Gupta?

If it's a two way share in technology then you may see Gupta become the supplier of all Oracle's front-end tools and they might be available for access to many other DBs.

> 3: Would it change your development plans?

No.

> I haven't the foggiest idea what would happen. I am new to the Oracle world and
> I bought SQLWindows to be the front end product. I intentionally bought the two
> products from different companies for the insane idea that it might give me some
> measure of database independence. Now Oracle and SQLWindows might be better
> integrated. However, as it gets more tightly integrated with Oracle, would it
> loose some of its flexibility in attaching to other vendor's databases? I don't
> know. What are your opinions?

SQL*Windows' biggest plus is that it WILL talk to almost anything. I think that would remain but the Oracle interface might be tweaked to give better compatibility though.

> A navy base in the middle of Indiana? * Jerry U. "Rick" Dawson
> How do they get the ships there? * dawson_at_vx8250.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

By truck but they really have to want to go there 8^}.

> --- anonymous visitor *

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras