Re: X$KSPPI - where is source?

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 21:33:13 GMT

In a previous article, jgoodhue_at_delphi.com (John Goodhue) says:

>Where is the syntax for creating the view X$KSPPI? It is in one of my
>databases but not in others. Where does the view come from?

   The X$ and V$ objects are virtual tables "owned by SYS". They are not real. Think of them as little hooks into the RDBMS kernel.

   The X$ and V$ synonyms are based on the X_$ and V_$ views which are owned by SYS and query the virtual objects. So if you want to make X$KSPPI accessible to everyone you have to do something like this...

CONNECT INTERNAL
CREATE VIEW X_$KSPPI AS SELECT * FROM X$KSPPI; CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM X$KSPPI FOR SYS.X_$KSPPI; GRANT SELECT ON X_$KSPPI TO PUBLIC; (Actually I can't remember if you grant access to the view or the object).

   Sound confusing? It is. These objects are great for DBAs who need to poke around, but don't let anyone use them in an app. They have a tendency to come and go from release to release.

  • Doug Harris