Re: Non-root Ora 7 install

From: <KJOHNSON_at_ESRIN.BITNET>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 18:05:14 CET

In article <775249041snz_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk>, gjwalker_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk (Gary John Walker) says:

> If the System Administrators demand that all 'applications',
> including Oracle 7 rdbms server be installed without -
>
> 1. Logging on as root at *any* time (i.e. edit root.sh
> to knock out the check).
>
> 2. Placing any files within the so-called system areas
> ( / , /usr , including /etc ).
>
> Is this *possible*? If so how. (Ban includes no soft linked
> files).
>
> This is on SunOs 4.1.3.

Hmmmm, this is a difficult one ...

I'd recommend changing jobs to become a System Administrator, as this seems to be the only way to avoid a great deal of work for nothing (seriously - you need 'root'privelege to complete the install). Indeed, at your site becoming System Administrator seems to be a the best way of avoiding work altogether!

Kevin.

Kevin Johnson                      EMAIL  :  johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it
Information Administrator
European Space Agency              DISCLAIMER :  These views are mine
ESRIN, FRASCATI, ITALIA.                         not necessarily those
                                                 of my employer.