Re: Wanted: Procedure to clone DB

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 26 Jul 1994 03:39:31 GMT

dsf_at_netcom.com (Dave Faulkner) writes:

>I am running two Oracle 7 database servers - a production & a development
>each with it's own Oracle license. What is the smoothest method of
>"cloning" my development db to the production machine now that I'm
>ready to deploy a new application. I imagine that export/import is
>the way to go, but how much do I export and how would I work around
>integrity contraints during the import?

What I did under essentially the same circumstance was to create a 2nd instance on the production system from a full backup (NOT an export) of the development system (full binary compatibility and symbolic links are nice), create a link between the two instances, and then copy selected tables over from one instance to the other. Then I created the appropriate integrity constraints and indexes. In the process I reorganized the tables a bit, and made sure that I had them all owned by a special account rather than by whichever developer created the table.

Another way to do this would be to use SQL*NET and connect the two systems with TCP/IP or some other high speed networking protocol. (This is what I do now, I have snapshots and cron jobs that keep a full set of customer and product tables on the development box up to date every night, but at the time I hadn't gotten SQL*NET 2 figured out.)

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)