Question on Parallel ORACLE on NCR 3600

From: Carolyn Binder <cbinder_at_crl.com>
Date: 25 Jul 1994 15:20:30 -0700

Parallel Oracle Scenario (loosely coupled): Assume there are two processors on an SMP, sharing an Oracle database. If one requests a block of information that the other one has in memory, how will the data be obtained? I figured that the requesting process would end up getting the info from the memory of the other, rather than doing disk i/o, which'd be slower.

The real reason I'm asking this is because I'm trying to understand how parallel Oracle works on an NCR 3600 box we're looking at. We want to reduce intraprocessor communication between APs because the Ynet is slower than an AP's internal bus. The reps are telling me that very little communication goes across the Ynet, and *no* database data travels on the Ynet. So in the case above, how do the processors exchange data? Far as I know, the YNET is what connects the two Aps; I think I'm missing something.

Reply to either me or the newsgroup. Personally, I'd rather see more answers posted to the newsgroup, rather than emails to the posters; it makes for more interesting stuff to read! Thanks.

Carolyn Binder cbinder_at_crl.com Received on Tue Jul 26 1994 - 00:20:30 CEST

Original text of this message