Re: BIG Joins

From: Jacqui Caren <J.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 09:50:59 +0000

In article comp.databases.ingres:<9407211626.PN24858_at_LL.MIT.EDU>, forgy_at_ll.mit.edu (James Forgy) writes:
>In article <30i54i$48v_at_tamsun.tamu.edu> m0v5533_at_tamsun.tamu.edu (Mahesh Vallampati) writes:
>
>How foolish, if I can do a six-way join in Oracle within two unions (3-
>joins), this only clarifies that a six-way join can run fast if
>optimizied...since a union would only slow down the statment speed.

I think we might be talking about defferent things. In my email I was referring to outer joins - for a twotable outer join there are four cases - this requires up to four selects with unions.

I was talking about a four table outer - this would have been a max of 16 selects all UNIONed together. Ancillary tables are also incorporated as the outer join is realised as a view and selections upon this view pull in another 7 or so tables.

I did not write that DB - I have to work with it.

Jacqui.
p.s. I no longer use SQL as it cannot handle what is required. oraperl does the job very well (around a second). I dread to think how long a sreport/report script would take to run. The associative arrays of perl make life much much easier... :-)

--
Jacqui Caren, Paul Ingram Group Ltd. J.Caren_at_ig.co.uk
My opinions are corect...  ( :-) for the emotionally deprived)