SQLnet and WABI connectivity.

From: Andrew J. Allen <aja_at_gmr.com>
Date: 22 Jul 1994 20:48:34 GMT

We have a heterogenous c/s environment with Sun SPARCservers as the db servers and Sun SPARCstation and PeeCee clients. We will soon be receiving a Windoze application that we must run on all of our clients. On the PeeCee we expect little or no problems. But on the SPARCstations we will have to run under WABI. Does anyone have a solution to the communication problem we expect to have. How can an application running under WABI-Windoze communicate with the Oracle server?

When I tried to get help from Oracle my conversation went about like this:

	Q: Will SQLnet work for applications running under WABI?
	A: No.
	Q: Is this because of the communications protocol?
	A: No.
	Q: Why will SQLnet not work with WABI?
	A: The way the software is written, it willnot work with WABI.
	Q: Is there a workaround or some other communications product
		that we could use.
	A: No.

Has anyone else faced this problem (communicating with Oracle from an application running under WABI, not a terse and unhelpful attitude from Oracle) and found a way around it? I would be willing to look at other Windoze enulators for Unix boxes if that would solve my problem.

--Andrew--
---

| aja_at_cad.vmss.gmeds.com | Opinions are my own and do not |
| EDS/Cadillac World HQ | necessarily reflect those of my |
| 30009 Van Dyke | employer or customer. |
| Warren MI 48090-9025 | Advise given without warranty. |
| Any suficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from |
| magic. A. C. Clarke |