Re: Experience with Oracle 7.1

From: <KJOHNSON_at_ESRIN.BITNET>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 09:53:10 CET

In article <30mhvq$2a1_at_larch.cc.swarthmore.edu>, stauffer_at_cc.swarthmore.edu (R Glenn Stauffer) says:

>lparsons_at_world.std.com (Lee E Parsons) writes:
>> Steve <rp1399_at_email.sps.mot.com> wrote:
>> >When I called and asked for the 7.1 update I got 20 questions as well.
>> >I told them it was to take care of some bugs. Seems Oracle just doesnt want
>> >folks to upgrade to a new version without a specific reason.
>>
>> My grilling struck me more has a marketing survey. I think they are just
>> trying to figure out how much trouble they are going to be in 7.1 doesnt
>> perform as expected.
>>

>I heard that 7.1 doesn't really offer any performance enhancements. Most of
>the good stuff is supposed to be developer oriented. This is from an Oracle
>person. I haven't read otherwise. It seems that Oracle had some sessions
>designed to tell DBA's about the new features, but there weren't any new
>features of great interest to DBA's.

But what about the "PARALLEL QUERY OPTION" ?

We just received the 'ORACLE Product Documentation Library' 1.0.4 on CD which includes "ORACLE7 Server odc. Add. , Rel 7.1"

Here you will find documented the "PARALLEL QUERY OPTION" which it claims "can dramatically improve performance."

If anyone has any experience with this , (I am particularly interested in a VMS cluster environment), please post it.

Kevin.

Kevin Johnson                      EMAIL  :  johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it
Information Administrator
European Space Agency              DISCLAIMER :  These views are mine
ESRIN, FRASCATI, ITALIA.                         not necessarily those
                                                 of my employer.