Re: 8-bit Character Sets

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 1994 23:11:59 GMT

In a previous article, rjm_at_cgoldbug.win.net (Richard Markowitz) says:

>I am trying to create Oracle databases using 8-bit characters. I have tried
>the various NLS support options at installation, but I continue to get
>7-bit ASCII database (that is oracle databases that return 7-bit characters.)
>I have verified that even when 8-bit characters are stored only 7-bits are
>returned.

   Did you specify an 8 bit character set when you created the database? There is a new "CHARACTER SET" clause in the Oracle7 "CREATE DATABASE" statement and if you forget it then the default is US7ASCII. You also need to specify an 8 bit character set in your NLS_LANG environment variable. Eg.

NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1    I am sucessfully running Oracle7 with the WE8ISO8859P1 character set and have no problems with 8 bit characters.

  • Doug Harris --