Ingres to Oracle conversion

From: Wilcox Young <wwyoung_at_PacBell.COM>
Date: 20 Jul 1994 20:29:18 GMT

Would appreciate your sharing of any pointers and experience in DBMS conversion.

We have a large host base application built on Ingres that we would like to convert to Oracle over time, to minimize the risk. The business rules and data are tightly bundled and thus complicates the conversion.

My thought is to first unbundle the data from the business rules; test, tune, and make sure everything works. The team will then proceed to unbundle the business rules from the presentation logic, and eventually get to a three tiered client-server architecture.

My immediate questions are:
1. Will Ingres codes work on an Oracle DBMS? 2. and if there is any performance issues that I need to be awared of?

Appreciate your assistance.

Regards,

Wilcox.   Received on Wed Jul 20 1994 - 22:29:18 CEST

Original text of this message