SQL*NET questions

From: Semyon Basin <sb63_at_ciao.cc.columbia.edu>
Date: 20 Jul 1994 17:10:38 GMT

Hi, Netters!
I am an INGRES DBA for our site.
For some unknown reason i was asked to perform an ORACLE installation. It went smoothly though.
I just can not understand how SQL*NET works. The questions are:

1. What starts it?
2. How can i verify if it's running?
3. How can i stop it?
4. Are there any background processes associated with it?
5. What are their names?

I can not get it from just reading a manual. May be because i'm stupid or the manual is not so well written. I know a lot about Unix, but very little about ORACLE. We are running ORACLE version 7.0.16 on DEC Ultrix 4.3. SQL*NET version 2.0 for TCP/IP.
Please, help me.
If you need any additional info i would be glad to provide it. Thanx in advance.
George Received on Wed Jul 20 1994 - 19:10:38 CEST

Original text of this message