Re: Using value of variable in PL/SQL

From: Thierry A. Lach <tlach_at_PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_GATEWAY_FILE>
Date: 20 Jul 1994 19:30:26 GMT

In article <30e3t0$qje_at_m.ehd.hwc.ca>, lon_at_hpb.hwc.ca (LONG ON) writes:
> Is it possible to have pointer variable in PL/SQL?
>
> For example:
>
> Declare
> avar1 char(30) := 'a_table_name';
> Begin
> select * from ^avar1; /* ^avar1 => replace avar1 with 'a_table_name' */
> End;
>
> What are the alternatives to accomplish this?
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> Long
> Ottawa

If you are working with sql*plus you can...

define avar1 = 'a_table_name'

begin

        select * from &&avar1;
end;

Note this only works with sql*plus, not with pl/sql as part of forms...

And look into the NEW_VALUE option of the column statement as an alternative to the define...

Thierry Lach                           | Sufficiently superior technology |
Work: thierry_at_eccdb1.pms.ford.com      | is indistinguishable from magic. |
Home: curlie!thierry_at_sycom.mi.org      |==================================|
#include <std.disclaimer>              |         We Do Magic Here!        |