Re: Oracle ODBC and memory problems

From: Curt Leaist <curtl_at_diamond.zed.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 1994 17:48:18 GMT

In article <30i3o4$1ec_at_search01.news.aol.com>, rcronau_at_aol.com (RCronau) writes:
|> In article <Jul.19.10.48.52.1994.6577_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>,
|> holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak) writes:
|>
|> >Hi folks. We are having trouble using the Oracle
|> >ODBC driver under MS-Windows. A third party
|> >software vendor (not in the ODBC business, BTW) told
|> >us Oracle's ODBC driver does not release memory
|> >properly.
|> >
|> >This seems to agree with our experiences as our
|> >apps run for about 15 minutes and then crash
|> >the client.
|> >
|> >Anyone else having this problem ?
|>
|> More often than not. We are using MS Access to front end the database.
|> To aleviate the problem with attached tables, we simply import and export
|> as needed, thus circumventing the memory problem.
|>
|> Regards,
|>
|> Rick Cronau (rcronau_at_aol.com)

The Oracle ODBC driver available at no charge on Compuserve is not the only driver out there. Q+E/Intersolv and OpenLink Software both have quality drivers for Oracle, both of which I have used without running into a problem like you describe. I would encourage you to evaluate other drivers if you need something more robust, and you are willing to spend a few extra dollars. (The cost is not very high compared to the price of Oracle!)

Curt Leaist                        |Internet: curtl_at_zed.com
Marcam Canada                      |UUCP    : ...!uunet!uupsi2!aruba!curtl