Re: Saving Scan Image to Oracle?

From: Dave Crowson <dcrowson_at_amoco.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 1994 19:23:53 GMT

In article <Valenzuela_Cesar/Mac-190794153039_at_129.197.109.12> Valenzuela_Cesar/Mac_at_mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com (Cesar Valenzuela) writes:
>From: Valenzuela_Cesar/Mac_at_mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com (Cesar Valenzuela)
>Subject: Saving Scan Image to Oracle?
>Date: Tue, 19 Jul 94 22:33:38 GMT

>Does anyone know how to load a Mac PICT file or BMP file to an Oracle
>table?
>Please let me know.

Well , instead of storing the images in Oracle, you could store a pointer to the file name of the file with the image in the database and get a small piece of code (PL/SQL, Pro*C, etc) to 'join' the two when needed (i.e the database record and the file). It is quick and dirty,and you need to be sure the code you write can handle missing files etc., and you need to be sure that only the database writes to the directory structure where the images are stored, but apart from that it's quite simple.

(I know this as some well-known Document Management packages work like this)

It's all swings and roundabouts really ;-)

David Crowson Freelance Oracle Consultant (since 1983)

igotan_at_ombomb.demon.co.uk or weirdguy_at_cix.compulink.co.uk

"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.  I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to  move, to get down off this featherbed of civilisation  and to find the globe granite underneath and strewn  with cutting flints" : Robert Louis Stevenson   Received on Wed Jul 20 1994 - 21:23:53 CEST

Original text of this message