Re: SQL*NET over dial-in

From: Alex Stebletsov <alex_at_olbi.msk.su>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 1994 09:22:09 GMT

Bart Mendez (bmb_at_bae.bellcore.com) wrote:
: I'm developing an application that will have local and remote users. The
: clients will be PCs running a PowerBuilder front-end, and the server will
: be an HP 9000 with Oracle7 and SQL*NET. The local users will be connected
: to the network via an Ethernet LAN, but the remote users will have to dial
: in from remote locations. Unfortunately, there's no choice. What kind of
: transport protocol should I use for the remote users? TCP/IP over a SLIP
: or PPP connection comes to mind, but I'm not sure if this is the best or
: only choice. If it is, what TCP/IP software package(s) for the PC can
: handle this?

How about SQL*Async? Or it was dropped in Oracle7 ? Of course you can use slip/ppp as tcp transport. There are many good TCP/IP packages for MS Windows. Novell LAN WorkPlace, Chameleon, PC/TCP, Trumpet sockets - just few names.

--
... whatever I said, my employer disagrees ...