Re: New CASE Dictionary 5.1 problems

From: Richard Heward <r.j.heward_at_bham.ac.uk>
Date: 20 Jul 1994 12:40:50 GMT

In article <3063vc$34g_at_nlsu110.nl.oracle.com>, snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com (Sandor Nieuwenhuijs) says:

>wave_at_elmrd6.ineab.ikea.se wrote:
>
>: Hello

>: We have been running Oracle CASE tools for some time (Designer 1.1,
>: Dictionary 5.0, and Generator). We decided to try the new CASE Dictionary
>: 5.1 and Generator.
>: This version is based on Forms 4.0 and runs on PC Windows machines. Oracle
>: has not released the new Designer 2.0 yet. Thus, since we use the Designer
>: in the early stages and then later on proceed our work in the Dictionary,
>: we have a problem. My thinking was to use the old Designer and the new Dict
>: and Gen on the same database. I would work on a PC and X-emulate the
>: Designer which run in a Unix box. The database is also in the Unix box,
>: and we would acess it through SQLnet from the Dict and Gen in the PC.
>: Of course the integration of the tools
>: would be no more, but at least we could continue our work.
>
>There is a 5.1 package for Win-OS/2 which does support CASE Designer in
>combination with CASE Dictionary baed on Forms 4.0, the Designer will run
>under OS/2 PM.

I have just spoken to Oracle UK about this and I've come to the following conclusions...

  (i) 5.1 CASE Dictionary is forms 4 based, and will therefore only work with a

     forms 4 client, such as CASE 5.1 for PCwindows, or SunOS.  (ii) CASE 5.1 runs on the ORACLE7 server, and you client in using SQL*NET/Windows

      or whatever.
 (iii) On Oracle v7.0.16.4 or higher, Designer *will* work with a 5.0 CASE Dictionary,

     in terms of diagramming only, but you can't call up the pop-up forms (because they
     are forms3 based). This is the
     unsupported part.
 (iv) If you have a lot of people into CASE and you upgrade to 5.1, they ought to
     be able to run client-server PC's into the ORACLE7 server. Until you can get forms 4
     on your server direct, you may be stuffed.

I hope this helps. Received on Wed Jul 20 1994 - 14:40:50 CEST

Original text of this message