8-bit Character Sets

From: Richard Markowitz <rjm_at_cgoldbug.win.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 04:09:14 GMT

I am trying to create Oracle databases using 8-bit characters. I have tried the various NLS support options at installation, but I continue to get 7-bit ASCII database (that is oracle databases that return 7-bit characters.) I have verified that even when 8-bit characters are stored only 7-bits are returned. My best suggestion from Oracle has been to use RAW data type.

This application is currently written for Ingres where 8-bit character sets are easy to do. Does anyone have an database using 8-bit characters. Am I missing an option?

I am running 7.0.15 on SUN 4.1.3U1 SPARC-10. Received on Tue Jul 19 1994 - 06:09:14 CEST

Original text of this message