SQL*NET over dial-in

From: Bart Mendez <bmb_at_bae.bellcore.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 13:28:43 -0500

I'm developing an application that will have local and remote users. The clients will be PCs running a PowerBuilder front-end, and the server will be an HP 9000 with Oracle7 and SQL*NET. The local users will be connected to the network via an Ethernet LAN, but the remote users will have to dial in from remote locations. Unfortunately, there's no choice. What kind of transport protocol should I use for the remote users? TCP/IP over a SLIP or PPP connection comes to mind, but I'm not sure if this is the best or only choice. If it is, what TCP/IP software package(s) for the PC can handle this?

Thanks,
Bart Mendez Received on Mon Jul 18 1994 - 20:28:43 CEST

Original text of this message