Problem creating OCI apps which work with BOTH Oracle 6.xx and 7.xx

From: Naveena N Swamy <naveena_at_world.std.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 21:52:57 GMT

I have developed a few OCI applications using version 6.xx of the OCI libraries which did not support the fixed length character datatype (oracle internal datatype 96). All my character arrays were defined using ftype=1 during the obndrn OCI call. If I use these executables against a version 7 database none of my selects return data when the actual field is a fixed length char field on Oracle. To make this work I had to change all the bind calls to have ftype=96.

But now if I use the new OCI executables which I have created, I am not sure if the executable will return any result against version 6.00 databases. The reason is Oracle 6.00 possibly will not know what ftype=96 means during the obndrn function call.

Is there some way to find out the version of the Oracle database you are connected to? This will help in deciding what ftype parameter to use during the obndrn call.

I am looking for all clues anybody has to offer...

Thanks,
Naveena Received on Mon Jul 18 1994 - 23:52:57 CEST

Original text of this message