Re: BIG Joins

From: Bruce Horrocks <bh_at_granby.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 12:36:24 +0000

In article <9407131738.PN05420_at_LL.MIT.EDU> forgy_at_ll.mit.edu "James Forgy" writes:

>>I`m curious... how many people out there know of a runtime environment
>>where a "common" operation on a database involves a join of more than,
>>say, 5 tables?
 [snip]
>>Have YOU ever written one?
>>Was it a one-shot or something intended for repeated use?
>>What was it for?

 [snip]
>I have wrote a 7-Way Join with a Union on a 600,000 row table and it only took
>7 seconds to run.

Since we're getting into a mine's bigger than yours debate...

I wrote a query once that could have been expressed as a 14 table join with no self-joins or unions to bolster the numbers. Given that performance was likely to be a problem <g> it was broken down into 4 separate selects each with 6 - 8 tables for the real thing. The application is now live and the screen in daily use.

Regards,

Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England                The Golden Rule is that the person
                               with the gold makes the rules.
bh_at_granby.demon.co.uk