Column Modification Question

From: Matthew Hodges <modester_at_iastate.edu>
Date: 15 Jul 1994 18:26:10 GMT

I have an oracle based package that I need to do some modifications to. The main change I need to do is alter a column width in several tables (i.e. column char(8) ==> column char(10).) This package was just installed and contains NO data. My question is this: If I alter table modify (column char(10)); Will the data inserted into the table be fragmented? I know it is probably best to modify the create table scripts, and I probably will, but I still want to know if the idea above will give me database fragmentation.

thanks all in advance

Matt Hodges

--
Matthew Hodges