Oracle Call Interface support

From: Philip Dye <phdye+_at_ELROND.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 02:42:49 GMT

I received the attached message from oracle indicating that OCI would be supported.

A large number of users find OCI to be quite cryptic. I do agree that the documentation leaves much to be desired. And though dsql.pc, the Pro*C example for method 4, is reasonable, I find the rest of teh examples to be quite trivial.

One of my fundamental dislikes of esql/c is the lack of a c datatype for cursors. Such was quite simple to implement using OCI. The result offering considerable flexiblity to the developer.

btw: Does anyone know what ISVs and VARs are ?

From: "B. Bhushan Fotedar" <BFOTEDAR_at_us.oracle.com>

Hi,

Oracle's policy is "New Servers support old clients".

Backward compatibility is provided and supported by Oracle for both OCI and Precompilers. Most of our ISVs and VARs write their apps thru OCI. These power users are very important to us. Oracle will continue to enhance the OCI. In OCI 7.0, you will find many new calls (oparse, odescr, oexfet, oflng) and enhanced old calls to provide minimum network traffic for client/server environment. In OCI 7.2, non-blocking calls will let OCI apps do other things
(extremely useful in GUI, event-driven environments) while waiting for the OCI
call to complete.

We are commited to both OCI and Precompilers. You choose the one that makes sense for you. OCI is the lowest level interface that Oracle provides. OCI is your stick-shift, while Precompilers and SQL*Module are automatic gears if you like my car anology.

If you have more questions about OCI, Precompilers, or SQL*Module, please feel free to contact me, Peter Vasterd (pvasterd_at_us.oracle.com), or Dennis Moore
(dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com).

Regards,

  • bhushan