Re: BIG Joins

From: Mahesh Vallampati <m0v5533_at_tamsun.tamu.edu>
Date: 13 Jul 1994 22:13:57 -0500

In article <9407131738.PN05420_at_ll.mit.edu>, James Forgy <forgy_at_ll.mit.edu> wrote:
>In article <Csw32B.Ju7_at_Unify.com> jde_at_Unify.com (Jeff Evarts) writes:
>>From: jde_at_Unify.com (Jeff Evarts)
>>Subject: BIG Joins
>>Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 17:25:23 GMT
>Of course I have written them. Sometimes you have to join a table to itself
>and then suddenly are faced with maybe three look-up tables and some outer-join
>logic that involves two more tables.
>I have wrote a 7-Way Join with a Union on a 600,000 row table and it only took
>7 seconds to run.
Wow,can u provide more details like which machine used and the number of row in the seven tables u joined.Again if u had used a selection criteria on the 600,000 row table which u use to union with the joined table then the above claim would be valid because the query optimiser would be smart enough to filter out the rows in the big table. As it stands i think the above is a tall claim.I would appreciate it if u could give more details on the above.
>-jf
>>I`m summarize to these newsgroups.
>>-Jeff Evarts
>>--jde_at_unify.com

Thanks and Regards
Mahesh Vallampati
M.S. In EE
Dept.of Electrical Engineering,
Texas A & M University.
Ph:(409)845-6189
\\ In the Beginning there was Codd..... Received on Thu Jul 14 1994 - 05:13:57 CEST

Original text of this message