Re: BIG Joins

From: <rjscho_at_skcla.monsanto.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 15:04:26 GMT

In article <Csw32B.Ju7_at_Unify.com>, jde_at_Unify.com (Jeff Evarts) writes:
> I`m curious... how many people out there know of a runtime environment
> where a "common" operation on a database involves a join of more than,
> say, 5 tables?
>
> It seems to me this is fairly rare, limited mostly to large reports
> that would get spooled off at EO[DWMY].
>
> Have YOU ever written one?

> Was it a one-shot or something intended for repeated use?
> What was it for?
>
> I`m summarize to these newsgroups.
>
> -Jeff Evarts
> --jde_at_unify.com

Jeff,

I have done it a few of times in the foggy past. They were all one-shot deals and were to do some specialized searches and reports. I cannot remember the exact circumstances nor can I remember the exact number of tables. The applications were all for managing research data.

It is very rare in my experience.

I know of some people who were regularly joining 8 or 9 tables and were complaining about the long waits for results. They were very inexperienced db people and perhaps had a poorly designed database. I never had the chance to review their design, but did similar applications and did not need to join that many tables. The application was again managing research data.

Bob

| Bob Schofield                   | If you want to worry less...              |
| G.D. Searle                     | Pray more!                                |
| 4901 Searle Parkway             | PHIL 4:6&7                                |
| Skokie, IL USA 60077            |                                           |
| EMail RJSCHO_at_SKCLA.MONSANTO.COM |                                           |