SID and Oracle7 for NT

From: Rick Dawson <dawson_at_vx8250.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil>
Date: 13 Jul 1994 16:03:37 -0500

I want to know how to associate a given database instance with an SID. I can't seem to find it in the manuals, forgive me if it was obvious.

Situation: In order to access the database from SQL*net tcp/ip for windows

   the host string wants an SID.

On the server, the manual told me how to start a service with a given SID using orasrv, and give it a password with dbapwd. I followed this just fine.

The manual says that there is one database per instance and one instance per SID. Fine. Now I want to start up serveral database instances and associate them with the SIDs I created. HOW DO I DO THIS? I can't find it in the manuals. Please don't tell me to RTFM, because I have searched the indexes and looked through the manuals.

The docs say that the control files should be in the form of ctl1%oracle_sid%.ora. Does this mean that the only time I can tell oracle which sid to use is when I create the database?

There is an ORACLE_SID parameter for the NT registry listed in the docs, but it doesn't say that there is a database name parameter.

If this is something that is obvious, forgive me. I am new to the Oracle world. I am porting my databases off of Rdb for VMS, where they are currently running on a fifteen year old vax.

question 2:
The manuals don't mention any data compression. Rdb for VMS would by default compress the data and then store it in the datafiles. This was very helpfull for large amounts of data. Why doesn't Oracle7 do this? Is it planned for the future? Does Oracle7 do this on any other platform?

Help me, please. I am going to try to find the oracle support number, it should be around here somewhere...

Thanks in advance...

A navy base in the middle of Indiana?  * Jerry U. "Rick" Dawson
How do they get the ships there?       * dawson_at_vx8250.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil
 --- anonymous visitor                 *