Re: How to set Oracle-roles from VB

From: Bill Manry - IBM SBU <bmanry_at_130.35.1.6>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 00:59:52 GMT

RSCary (rscary_at_aol.com) wrote:
> In article <1994Jul8.135531.6248_at_roche.com>, joerg.schmiedle_at_roche.com
> (Joerg Schmiedle) writes:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm working on VB and ODBC to connect to a remote Oracle V7.0.15.4.1
> database. I'm using SQLnet V1.1.7.9.1 and the Oracle 7 ODBC driver
> V1.10.0000.
> After a sucessful connect to the remote database, I try to set a role
> from my VB-application. The SQL-syntax (which works fine with SQLplus)
> is
> "SET ROLE ROLE_NAME;"
> The question is: How can I execute this SQL-statement from Visual
> Basic.
> I tried to use the ExecuteSQL-method, but doesn't work.
> Any comments?

> Your problem is you are trying to execute a SQL*Plus command as SQL. It
> will only work in SQL*Plus.
> Scott Cary

Hmm...SET is indeed a SQL*Plus command, but "SET ROLE" is SQL and should be enterable via standard mechanisms. I don't know enough about VB and ODBC to tell you why it isn't working in this case. Perhaps if you elaborate on "doesn't work" someone will know the answer. /b

Bill Manry
Oracle Corp. / Mainframe & Integration Technologies / BManry_at_us.oracle.com #include <disclaimer.usual> Received on Wed Jul 13 1994 - 02:59:52 CEST

Original text of this message