Re: Updating Statistics for the Data Dictionary -- Or

From: Karin Schroeter <dbbetr_at_ztivax.zfe.siemens.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 1994 09:08:39 GMT

Barry Roomberg (barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com) wrote:
: -> There are two mechanisms (that I am aware of) for updating statistics
: -> for the data dictionary with Oracle 7.0:
: ->
: -> 1. Procedures - ANALYZE_SCHEMA, ANALYZE_OPTIONS
: -> 2. SQL script - CATSTAT.SQL

: NEITHER! Do NOT enable the cost based analyzer in Oracle 7.0
: Serious bugs, will not find indexes,will turn previous quick
: code into trash!

: Oracle support told me to wait for 7.1 before using it.
: If you accidently analyze anything to gathe r the stats,
: drop them NOW!

It is NOT necessary to drop the statistics as you have the possibility to disable the cost based optimizer with the parameter OPTIMIZER_MODE set to RULE. THis works fine, and you can use the statistics for watching the growing of your database.
In the past we had much trouble with this buggy cost based analyzer. We has been looking for mistakes in queries for a long time, as we get different values on different databases with the same data in it. The only thing, that was different was, that we had made statistics on one database.
Bye
Christian

--
SIEMENS AG                                          SnailMail:
RK M1 ID 51                                         Otto-Hahn Ring 6

Tel.:               089-636-

K. Schroeter        46529                Ch. Guenther        43965
G. Hagn             45688                T. Reichert         42052
N. Mamblona-Fischer 42059