HELP AND OPINIONS ON A DATABASE PROJECT

From: <wjhalv1_at_pacbell.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 94 09:16:33 pdt

I'm a newbie with a problem - any help, ideas, or opinions greatly appreciated:

I've got a project to analyze a set of financial reports. They are all in the same format and will be shipped to on 6250bpi tape, probably in a FORTRAN format. Total of about 2000 reports, each report containing about 2000 data elements. I estimate the total size of the data at about 4Gigabytes.

Here are the questions:

  1. What hardware/software combination would allow me to put the data onto disk drives and give me answers to queries in less than one minute?
  2. Are there service bureaus that would do mount the data on their servers, and let me run queries across a network? I could telnet to the site, or put in a 56kbps circuit.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Bill Halverson
wjhalv1_at_pacbell.com Received on Fri Jul 08 1994 - 18:16:33 CEST

Original text of this message