Re: Forms: SELECT returns 1 or 0

From: <rjscho_at_skcla.monsanto.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 1994 13:46:37 GMT

In article <CsJ8xH.Avp_at_undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>,

       aarhemtu_at_cayley.uwaterloo.ca (Anil) writes:
> In and using FORMS 4 with Oracle 7.
>
> In one of my blocks I am trying to create a trigger to load a phone
> number based upon the office in the block. So I created a "POST-QUERY"
> trigger as follows:
>
> SELECT phone_number
> INTO :my_block.phone_number
> FROM phone_table
> WHERE office = :my_block.office;
>

> This works great, except that some offices do NOT have phone numbers. So,
> the select state does not return anything. I would like the phone number
> item to remain empty in these cases yet I get an Oracle Forms error telling
> me that NO_DATA_FOUND.
>

> Help.
>

> Thanks,
> Anil

Try handling the NO_DATA_FOUND exception in the trigger - something like: BEGIN
  SELECT phone_number
  INTO :my_block.phone_number
  FROM phone_table
  WHERE office = :my_block.office;

EXCEPTION
   WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND THEN
     :my_block.phone_number = '';
END This may not be syntactically correct!

Bob Schofield - G.D.Searle - Monsanto Received on Fri Jul 08 1994 - 15:46:37 CEST

Original text of this message