Frustration! Sql*Plus and RPT!

From: Steve Frampton <frampton_at_vicuna.ocunix.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 1994 11:07:01 -0400

Hello:

I am trying to write an RPT (release 1.1.10.3.2) under Oracle7 7.0.15.4.1 and am having considerable difficulty with one of my select statements.

I first developed the required select statement with SQL*Plus and it works fine. Then I move it over to RPT and it refuses to work. :-(

Through trial and error, I have narrowed down the problem. Here is the simplified script below:

        select to_char(to_date(&absn_start_date,'YYMMDD'),'DAY')
        into   start_date
        from   dual

The 'start_date' variable is defined as A6.

The above code is supposed to return the day of the week, depending on the contents of the 'absn_start_date' variable. How much simpler can you get?!

When the report is run, I get the following message:

ORACLE error: ORA-01858: a non-numeric character was found where a numeric was expected

Any ideas? My application has been stalled for a couple of weeks now and I'm completely baffled. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Frampton E-mail: <frampton_at_vicuna.ocunix.on.ca> Received on Fri Jul 08 1994 - 17:07:01 CEST

Original text of this message