Re: Oracle Query optimizer

From: Sandor Nieuwenhuijs <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 23:03:02 GMT

Hugh Fraser (hfraser_at_maccs.mcmaster.ca) wrote: [stuff deleted]
: but I now here that Oracle doesn't have a runtime optimizer; that queries
: need to be compiled ahead of time. I'm having trouble believing that (even
: the Postgres database I've got running on my Linux system at home does
: runtime optimization). It will be a big problem with end users who need
: the performance of the optimizer but don't know what the query will be till
: they need it for a meeting in an hour to get a report out.

This is not true. Oracle7 *DOES* have a statistical query optimizer, which works at runtime, provides you keep the statistics reasonably up-to-date ofcourse. The people who told you this probably were confused with Oracle version 6, which used a syntax based optimizer.

Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
Oracle Netherlands

  • These opinions (if any) are just mine. I do not represent Oracle ---
  • Corporation in this Posting ---