Advice on LAT/LONG data?

From: Mark J. Scheller <scheller_at_c3ot.saic.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 17:07:51 GMT

We've got some data that we're putting into our database here which contains latitudes and longitudes. Right now, we're just storing them as strings with hhmmssH and hhhmmssH. However, when someone wants to do some kind of area search query or something, the N/S and E/W in the strings really goofs things up -- not to mention going over the equator and the E/W dividing line. So, does anyone have any advice about how we should store this and do the SQL queries?

Thanks in advance,

Mark J. Scheller (scheller_at_c3ot.saic.com)

| scheller_at_c3ot.SAIC.COM ^ "Remember folks: traffic lights timed for | | ...sun!c3ot.saic.com!scheller ^ 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph." <joke> |