Re: Visual Basic ODBC is slow!

From: Alan N Turner <anturner_at_sc1500.dseg.ti.com>
Date: 7 Jul 1994 13:24:59 GMT

In article <2vetga$huq_at_crl3.crl.com>, mnatale_at_crl.com (Michael Natale) writes:
|>I am trying to access Oracle v 7.0 through the ODBC driver and Visual
|>Basic. The performance is so slow, it's going to be hard to convince the
|>non-computer people that it is worth our time to convert from older
|>d-base type databases. Is there any way to tune the performance so it
|>will be faster?
|>
|>I would appreciate any help!
|>
|>Thanks, Mike

You don't provide any details regarding your setup, but here are some things to consider:

  • use the SQL Passthrough feature of VB to send your queries to Oracle
  • use the new Oracle7 ODBC driver written by Oracle Corp. The driver can by found on Compuserve or at ftp.cccd.edu/pub/oracle/ora7odbc.zip.
  • set your SQL*Net on the server to use out-of-band breaks. This is specified during 'orasrv' startup.

Try these, if you're not already, and see if they help. I noticed speed improvements when I used them. My environment was a SunSparc 10 running SunOS 4.1 with Oracle v7.0.14 and SQL*Net v1.2 with Windows 3.1 and WFW 3.11 clients. Our app was a VB 3.0 app accessing the Oracle7 database.

Cheers,

Alan N. Turner                          "The comments expressed here are my
Sr. Strategy DBA                         own and do not necessarily reflect
Systems and Equipment Sector             those of Texas Instruments, Inc. or
Texas Instruments, Inc.                  its subsidiaries."
Internet: anturner_at_sc1500.dseg.ti.com