Re: Visual Basic ODBC is slow!

From: Martin Farber <farber_at_nynexst.com>
Date: 7 Jul 1994 16:43:35 GMT

In article huq_at_crl3.crl.com, mnatale_at_crl.com (Michael Natale) writes:
>I am trying to access Oracle v 7.0 through the ODBC driver and Visual
>Basic. The performance is so slow, it's going to be hard to convince the
>non-computer people that it is worth our time to convert from older
>d-base type databases. Is there any way to tune the performance so it
>will be faster?
>
>I would appreciate any help!
>
>Thanks, Mike

You haven't given much detail, but I'll tell you what I do know.

We're running Oracle 7.0.15.4 on a Sparc 10. We are using Oracle's ODBC driver and had some problems. Someone suggested we set the PC to "pass through" the SQL directly to Oracle and not only did it fix our SQL problems, but I've been told it improved performance *considerably*.

Good Luck! ;-}

Sincerely,

Martin Farber
Independent Oracle Consultant