Re: Netware - OS/2 - SCO UNIX?

From: Alex Stebletsov <alex_at_olbi.msk.su>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 17:49:09 GMT

Vytas Narusevicius (vytasn_at_wimsey.com) wrote:
: Does anyone have any ideas on choosing a lowend platform for Oracle 7 database
: server? I am intending on running on an Intel platform (486 or 586) with 6
: to 8 concurrent windows clients (over SPX or TCP/IP) doing mainly ad hoc
: queries on a 250MB database. Is there a preferred platform to run on? I
: don't see much difference in performance between Netware, OS/2 and SCO Unix at
: this level?

If your target is unattended Oracle server and nothing more, I'd bet on Netware. Cheap, too. Once tuned, on mirrored disks, it's quite stable. Oracle on Unix is more flexible, for the price of administering. SCO has unreliable file system, and in case of system crash, can require manual recovering.

--
Opinions above is mine, not of my employer... Sorry for that.