Re: CPU Count on Oracle 7.0.16.4

From: Sandor Nieuwenhuijs <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 17:01:39 GMT

Intesar Ali (Intesar.Ali_at_dcs.warwick.ac.uk) wrote:

: At present I am having problems with finding out how to change the number of
: cpu's in Oracle 7.0.16.4, in the earlier Oracle 7.0.12 this could easily
: be done using the cpu_count paramter which can be changed in the INIT.ORA.
: The database (7.0.16.4) is running on a 8-node multiprocessor using
: Solaris 2.3.

Last time I checked, there was nothing you needed to do when running Oracle7 on a MP machine, like the one you are using. Fiddling around with CPU_COUNT wasn't necessary either in the past, it was normally set to 0.

You could try some tuning with the Multi Threaded Server (e.g. setting the number of servers to at least the number of CPU's), or with SPIN_COUNT

Be careful however, default parameters will suffice for most 'normal' operations.

Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
Oracle Netherlands

  • These opinions (if any) are just mine. I do not represent Oracle ---
  • Corporation in this Posting ---