Re: ORACLE ODBC Problems

From: Peter Gross <peter_at_bhcnt.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 12:57:24 +0000

In article: <Cs616H.6np_at_aston.ac.uk>   fineanm_at_aston.ac.uk (Mary Finean) writes:

> Our thanks to Anton Dischner. His quick fix finally linked our
> Access database on an Apricot P.C. with the ORACLE datbase on a
> sunserver2000 running SunOS 5.3.
> Further investigation with ORACLE revealed that the port number problem can also be solved by careful taioring of the Services file; the command
> orasrv 1525/tcp oracle
> should be at the top of the Services file and also a space (not a tab) should be inserted after the /tcp string. We are still using the IP address of the host as SQL*Net fails to match it to the host name even though it is in the host file.
>
> Cheers.

Don't give up on using your hosts file.

We are using Prolinc as the (transport) network s/w and found that our installation had more than one hosts table !!

ie
in directory: /prolinc/tcp

hosts
hosts.tbl
hosts.mak

The correct file in this case was hosts.tbl

Peter Gross                      |Email:      peter_at_bhcnt.demon.co.uk
Brighton Health Care NHS Trust   |*     #include <usual.disclaimer>           *