General DBMS books

From: Steven Whatley <swhatley_at_blkbox.COM>
Date: 30 Jun 1994 13:14:44 GMT

I've been looking for a book that discusses the major database systems like Oracle, Sybase, FoxPro, Paradox, etc. I do not want a book that tries to determine who's the best or which product and do certain tasks better than this other product. What I am trying to do is get a better understanding of what each product does, what are their features, and some detail about the environment such as administration and programming.

I would like to use this knowlegde to better understand people who come from different database environments and to help them migrate to another one. One thing I have noticed is a trend to independent front-ends which can with communicate many different database systems. So, hopefully a question like this will, some day, become obsolete.

Thanks,
Steven Whatley Received on Thu Jun 30 1994 - 15:14:44 CEST

Original text of this message