RE: How do multiple instances access same DB

From: Stephen Bourgeois <sbourgeo_at_walrus.encore.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 14:39:44 GMT

Originator: nreddy_at_bronson.kgn.ibm.com

> Hi All!
>
> I have created a Database on Oracle7 Server by name 'sales'. Presently this database is
> identified by only one ORACLE_SID, which is 'sales'. How can multiple instances of Oracle
> running on different servers (RISC/6000 Servers) can access the same database. What do I
> need to do? Do I have to set ORACLE_SID to different names on each of the machines, I am
> not really sure about this. Can somebody out there respond to this and make me
> understand about this Oracle instances stuff.
>
> Please post your response to this forum or send to my email nreddy_at_bronson.kgn.ibm.com
> or nreddy_at_vnet.ibm.com, I will appreciate all of your input.
>

> Thanks in Advance
>
> Best Regards
> Narsi Reddy

Narsi,

Are you running with the parallel server option??? If so, you want different ORACLE_SID values, and must startup in parallel (or shared) mode. This assumes that all of the nodes are using the same database files and you have the Distributed Lock Manager running.

If you aren't running parallel server, you must configure SQL*Net to connect to the "sales" instance on the remote machine. In this case the ORACLE_SID values on the remote machines don't matter.

Hope this helps,

Steve Bourgeois (sbourgeo_at_encore.com)

  |  Steve Bourgeois				|
  |  Encore Computer Corporation		|
  |  Marlboro, MA 				|