Re: Help: Case insensitive sort.

From: Jodi James Showers <jshowers_at_cmi.on.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 1994 19:16:07 GMT

In article <Crw8FH.2GJ_at_uk.ac.brookes> Tommy Wareing, p0070621_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk writes:
>> We came across a problem (feature) which we need some insights into.
>> Oracle seems to differenciate (rightly so) between upper and lower
 case
>> when we are performing sort on a char field.
>> The thing we want to accomplish is for oracle to not-differenciate
>> between 'A' and 'a'etc...
>> so when we query the data sorted on say title we would like to see the
>> following,
>
>ORDER BY UPPER(TITLE) instead of ORDER BY TITLE

as this will turn off indexes(ie. performance hit) I suggest either

  1. store data in one case (upper or lower)
  2. use the SET CASE OFF clause. haven't used this before but I heard it bounce around. can't find it in 6.0 manual, but my understanding is that the rdbms*engine will treat 'A' and 'a' the same. Maybe someone else around here has the specifics.

Jodi J. Showers (jshowers_at_cmi.on.ca) Received on Tue Jun 28 1994 - 21:16:07 CEST

Original text of this message