Re: Forms 4 - 'nothing to commit'

From: Jon Erlend Dahlen <jonda_at_ifi.uio.no>
Date: 27 Jun 1994 15:23:21 +0200

gjwalker_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk (Gary John Walker):
> Trying to catch the 40401 (I think!) message - 'nothing to
> commit' - when committing updates from a block without base
> table. Have tried the on-change trigger at form, block and
> item level. But it's not firing! I know this because I let
> through other messages with a new text prefix just to test the
> thing out.
>
> The update and commit are in a forms procedure and are called
> from a button trigger (i.e. button marked UPDATE!). Straight
> after the commit I display the last message number - sure enough
> it's the 40401 - nothing to commit. Of course it is *actually*
> committing but just don't want this erroneous message displayed.

I'm struggling with almost the same problem. (and I don't think it's a solution to it...)

Oracle Forms 4.0 will _not_ commit _anything_ if there is no _base_ _table_ blocks containing changes. The inserts/updates will be visible in the Forms application, but _not_ in the real database (check this by using the sqlplus after an attempt to commit from the application.

The worst is, that a PL/SQL "commit" statement in a trigger or PL/SQL program unit (within the form) is interpreted as a "commit_form" statement.

I don't understand why on earth it is implemented like this. This is removing all the freedom from the GUI... If you don't want to make work arounds (as a dummy table and a invisible dummy field that you change immediately before a commit, just to cheat Forms to commit the inserts/updates you really want to commit...), you have lost the freedom of the GUI; i.e. you can't access the fields/items in a random way...

..jon | Jon E. Dahlen <jonda_at_ifi.uio.no>

PS

I deleted the "Distribution: world" header.... Received on Mon Jun 27 1994 - 15:23:21 CEST

Original text of this message