Re: [Q:] How to speed up rpt program ?

From: Alan MCCulloch <amccullo_at_ccu1.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: 27 Jun 1994 11:32:10 GMT

eleeb0p_at_menudo.uh.edu (Jiazhi) writes:

>I am working in a small information company.
>We have a perfoance problem.
>We use the rpt to prepare detail reports. It
>involvs retrieve data from 10-30 tables and
>arrange the format and print out. But it is
>unacceptly slow.
>I wonder if there are other Oracle products
>I can use to do the same jobs. Or what I should
>be ware to prepare the rpt programs. ( I checked
>every sql command in my rpt program, all seem to
>be fine.)
>I even think about using a proc program to replace
>the rpt, I am not sure if it will help.

>Any comments are great appreciate!

>Michael.

I've also found rpt to be unacceptably slow, and the rpf formatter unacceptably time-consuming and awkward.

One of the more modern report-writer tools would probably be the answer - but in the absence of that I find a useful technique for complex reports is to set up a temporary table to hold the report data, and then build up the data using many passes of SQLPlus and occasionally PL/SQL. This gives flexibility, and also gives you more control over optimising the speed of the report through judicious choice of the sequence of updates. E.G. if you are building up a report on monthly statistics, you could get most of the data in one hit using an SQL statement with a group-by clause, and then get anything fiddly with subsequent passes of SQLPlus, or maybe PL/SQL to loop through each row.

Good Luck Received on Mon Jun 27 1994 - 13:32:10 CEST

Original text of this message